Sunday 27 March 2011

Good old volleyball times...

I'm reading this book called The thing about life is that one day you'll be dead by David Shields and there is a passage that took me directly back to my volleyball years... the memories from that time are bittersweet, mostly because I think I might have been more sucessful in another sport, since I never grew enough to be a top player, but some of them are really good: (specially having found 'myman' there)

"The junior varsity played immediately after the varsity. At the end of the third quarter of the varsity game, all of us on the JV, wearing our good sweaters, good shoes, and only ties, would leave the gym to go change for our game. I loved leaving right when the varsity game was getting interesting; I loved everyone seeing us as a group, me belonging to that group, and everyone wishing us luck; I loved being part of the crowd and breaking away from the crowd to go play. And then when I was playing, I knew the crowd was there, but they slid into the distance like the overhead lights."

(although I must say, most of the time our crowd was more like half a dozen parents)

No comments: